For this free inquiry blog post I am going to look back at a book I read a few years ago; the autobiography of Phil Jackson called “Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior.”

Phil Jackson is without question the most accomplished NBA basketball coach of all time, if not, in the world of professional sports. He was a head coach in the NBA for 20 years, in which he won 11 NBA Championships (6 with the Chicago Bulls and 5 with the LA Lakers); awarded the NBA Coach of the Year (1996); 4 time NBA All-star coach; and holds the record for the winningest playoff coach in NBA history (229 wins).

In his book he discusses how he directs his players to act with a clear mind–not thinking, just doing; to respect the enemy and be aggressive without anger or violence; to live in the moment and stay calmly focused in the midst of chaos; to put the “me” in service of the “we” — something I try to duplicate in my coaching and in raising my boys. Whether you admire him for his coaching or his way of life, Phil Jackson mentored and fabricated some of the greatest basketball players of all time. I believe it takes the adaptability of an amazing coach to support a player in reaching their full potential.

Here’s just a quick video to get a glimpse into Phil Jackson’s basketball knowledge and his calming character. No wonder players like Michael Jordan, Scotty Pippen, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal achieved so much as players and mentors to the game of basketball and their commnunities.