This week’s Edtech topic of 3D printing released the nerd in me! As it did for a lot of use, I believe. The Zoom chat lit up with great ideas, but it was an easy choice as soon as I saw the dice concept. I play in a bimonthly D&D group with a few of my close friends. We’ve been playing for about seven years now and still going strong through covid. We’ve accumulated many dice over those years, but the ‘itch’ for more seems to consume you like a curse. I decided to use Tinkercad to make an icosahedron (20 sided die) with just 1’s and 20’s. Criticals miss or critical success. The most glorified coin toss ever. I haven’t completed it yet; school and having kids eats away at your spare time, sleep, and life-force. However, on the brighter side, I think I got my D&D group hooked on the idea of purchasing a 3D printer!!!

Cool 3D Printed Hollow Dice!

Before Covid hit, we were playing twice a month at my Dungeon Master’s house. We were in the midst of creating a personalized gaming table for our group. What sold my friends on the idea of buying a 3D printer is feeding their addiction. Both the DM and the Half-Orc barbarian love buying mini-figures. They spend a lot of time painting and detailing them. They also got into making terrain and structures out of clay and polymer. I believe Kayla said you can transfer files from some of the online Mini Character generators like https://www.heroforge.com/ . So pitching the concept of 3D printing was like throwing a steak to a pack of starving rabid Dire Wolves.

So the DM has found a new quest for himself and is researching 3D printers that will help in our ventures whenever we get to do them face-to-face. But till then, I keep throwing him ideas and inspiration to keep him salivating on the idea. I’m hoping my D20 is one of the first things that we print… whenever I find the time to finish designing in Tinkercad.

3D Designed Castle for a simple quest

A Dice Carrier I MUST get printed!!

Here’s the next character I would like to play, a Half-Elf Gunslinger, I made in Hero Forge. If we can transfer files from this website, the amount of mini’s we’d print would be endless!!